‘Learn, Leap and Lead’: Nurturing the thought leaders of tomorrowSRM believes that the students of today shall become the thought leaders of the future in the domain of medicine and science. By fostering a culture of striving toward excellence, SRM Medical College nurtures all its students to identify their capabilities and push the limits to bring out the best in them. As a medical student, you will build a solid foundation while also staying in tune with the latest medical trends
Integrated Eco-system @ SRMSRM encourages and leverages collaborations within the institution which caters to 45,000+ students and 3500+ faculty in diverse fields such as Medicine, Dentistry & Other Health Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Science & Humanities, Management, Law, and Agricultural Sciences. Through our connected eco-system, we serve as a platform for our medical students interested in pursuing interdisciplinary research projects and other collaborative initiatives
Think SRM, Think HealthcareThe programs at SRM Medical & Health Sciences include courses across the spectrum ranging from Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Public Health, and Allied Sciences. The objective is to create a broader panoramic view of the field by exposing them to the various aspects of the healthcare industry. We were also one of the few private medical colleges in India to successfully conduct the Covid-19 vaccine trails in association with ICMR – Bharat Biotech (Covaxin)
‘Bench to Bedside’ Learning: Learn how to think and not what to thinkSRM has developed an innovative ‘Bench to Bedside’ learning model. This application-based learning model coupled with a first-of-its-kind simulation centre developed in association with Harvard University helps our students’ experience hands-on learning in a unique manner. The curriculum is ‘NEXT integrated’ and is reviewed extensively every year to keep abreast with the latest developments in the field. With a high patient load at the 1600+ bedded super-specialty hospital, our medicos are exposed to numerous cases and surgeries performed regularly in each of the 30+
Culture of inclusivity and diversitySRM Medical College has a gender diversity ratio of 54% and a regional diversity of 58%. Students from multi-cultural backgrounds across India and abroad pursue programs at SRM. SRM is a truly multi-cultural campus where each idea and every perspective matters
Faculty Experience and QualityThe teaching faculty at SRM are highly renowned professionals in their field of study and research pursuits. A majority of our faculty are renowned surgeons, experienced academicians and seasoned researchers. They constantly enhance their skills being at the forefront of medical advancements in their fields and simultaneously impart knowledge of the highest quality to every student. With a robust one-on-one faculty-student mentorship program at SRM, the medical college ensures that no student is left behind in academics, professional growth, and personal development
Life @ SRM: A place to call homeSRM Medical College Hospital & Research Centre has invested in cutting-edge technologies fit for modern times. The campus has best-in-class facilities to enhance the learning outcomes for the students which includes a state-of-the-art simulation centre in association with Harvard University, 22+ modular operation theatres, 7+ ICUs, and 1600+ beds in 30+ broad and super-specialty departments. The Medical College also ensures a pleasant homely stay at the campus offering air-conditioned hostels and mess facilities to create a conducive learning environment for the students.
A Vibrant Social Life at SRMBeing under the SRM umbrella, the campus brings together students from diverse cultures and perspectives which enables opportunities for the students to make friends and create professional networks across a range of fields that will last for a lifetime. There are various student clubs and societies on the campus providing ample opportunities for personal and professional growth. A healthy body enables a healthy mind. With sports arenas built across the 250+ acre green campus, students can participate in a range of sports and other recreational activities inside the campus. The annual cultural events at SRM are considered one of the best in the country with students participating from institutions across India
Student Mentoring Program (SMP)A process whereby an experienced, highly regarded, empathetic person (the Mentor), guides another (usually younger) individual (the Mentee) in the development and re-examination of their own ideas, learning, and personal and professional development. The Mentor, who often (but not necessarily) works in the same organization or field as the Mentee, achieves this by listening or talking in confidence to the Mentee(Frei, 2010)
Goals Of Mentoring Students
- To enhance student relationship with teacher and institute and making them feel a part of SRM family.
- To get familiar with life at College, academically and culturally, so that they can better achieve their full academic potential.
- To adopt active learning and experiential learning strategies .
- To improve discipline, regularity and punctuality of students through counseling sessions and minimize students drop out rate.
- To identify and understand the status of slow learners and encourage learning
- To help troubled students cope with academic, extra-academic and personal problems
- Providing platform for grievances
- Inculcate leadership qualities in faculty of the institute
- To improve learning outcome of students and get better ranking in NEXT( National Exit Entrance Examination) to pursue post-graduation
- Mentoring students related career opportunities in India and aboard
- Role model
- Confidante; Supporter
- Critique, Guide and Collaborator
- Moral and emotional support
- Advisor; career counselor, be a sounding board for discussing career plans, other professional and personal issues; problem solver, stimulate reflection
- Sincerity of intent: genuinely interested, motivated and committed
- Sharing of own experience for benefit of the Mentee
- Approachable, available and a patient listener.
- Setting goals: short term goals for learning and long-term goals for career purposes
- Transferring knowledge in skills relating to communication, critical thinking, responsibility, flexibility, and teamwork, that cannot be learned from books
- Pointing out strengths and areas for development
- Answering any questions, even those pertaining to personal matters
- Supporting the student even after studies are completed
- Initiative to approach and subsequently for setting up meetings.
- Honesty & openness
- Proactive role in shaping the relationship
- Feedback and appreciation of Mentoring effort
- Mentee should be enthusiastic, curious, and ambitious when discussing Mentee interests with Mentor
- Mentee should try to attend all meetings and arrive on time. If there is a delay or cannot attend, let the Mentor know in advance.
- Mentee should rrespect Mentor’s time and space. Ssetting up meetings may be hard to do, especially in hectic class schedule, and Mentors are busy too.Try to be flexible about meeting time.
- Discuss with Mentor preferred means of contact him or her: e-mail, phone or personally.
- Mentee should inform their progress in-between meetings by e-mail / phone.
- The information Mentor tells Mentee is to be privileged and not to be shared outside the Mentor-Mentee group.
- Mentee should be patient as it takes time and effort to build a relationship. Be receptive to suggestions and feedback.